Harvesting and Storing Tomatoes
When to Pick
- Pick before the tomato is fully colored and still firm. This allows the plant to use its nutrients and resources in developing the next fruit.
- Ripen the freshly picked tomatoes at room temperature. If you will not use the tomatoes as soon as they ripen (best option), store the ripened tomatoes in the refrigerator.
- If the tomatoes have been refrigerated, remove tomatoes and leave at room temperature for at leas an hour before using so they can regain their flavor.
- If frost is imminent, cover the tomato plants to extend the growing season or pick tomatoes and ripen them indoors.
In the Fall
- On the day before a killing frost is predicted, harvest all green tomatoes.
- Wrap tomatoes individually in paper and store between 60 and 65ºF (15 – 18º C).
- Whole plants may be uprooted and hung in sheltered locations where the fruit continues to ripen.
Comments are disabled !!!
If you have any questions you can visit our Tomato Growing Forums